Butternut squash soup is a delicious, healthy soup I cannot get enough of during the chillier months. This colorful, vegan, creamy soup is perfect for your everyday meal or Thanksgiving dinner. My recipe is very different from other recipes you’ll find; it is very easy to make, and it has a very Mexican twist, I serve it with chipotle-cinnamon lightly sprinkled tortilla chips .
About this recipe
This soup is a personal favorite of mine! The roasted butternut squash gets its sweetness from the oven, but the leek and celery balance it out perfectly. For a bit of sweetness and extra flavor, I like to add a roasted green apple to the vegetables.
For an added kick, I blend in some Chipotle peppers and a dash of cinnamon. I like to serve it with lightly seasoned tortilla chips that also have a hint of Chipotle and cinnamon.
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup
- Apple: green or red apples? I prefer Granny Smith apples because they have a lightly tart flavor.
- Celery: You need one stick of celery, use the leaves and all.
- Butternut squash: A small butternut squash, half a larger one, or honey nut squash. Feel free to substitute with sweet potato or another pumpkin like kabocha, if you are not a fan of the vegetable or can’t find it.
- Leek; You add some. You cover the vegetables with a little bit of oil, and then you roast them until they are fully cooked. A good substitution would be garlic and onion.
- Vegetable oil, water or vegetable broth , ground chipotle (substitute with chipotle in adobo if you need), ground cinnamon.
- Tortilla chips for serving.
How to make vegan butternut squash apple soup
To begin, preheat your oven to 400°F. Next, prepare a quarter sheet baking pan by lining it with parchment paper . Take one celery stick and half of a butternut squash, clean and chop them, discard the seeds.
Quarter an apple and remove the seeds. Spread all the prepared vegetables and apple on the baking pan, drizzle some olive oil, season with salt, and roast for around 20-25 minutes until they turn golden brown and are fully cooked.
Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly. Scoop the flesh from the roasted butternutsqua and add to a blender container along with the rest of the roasted vegetables and apple with one teaspoon of kosher salt, half a teaspoon of ground Chipotle, a pinch of cinnamon and four cups of water. Blend the mixture until smooth and well integrated.
Pour into a soup pot, heat it through, check for seasoning, and serve. Top with the chipotle cinnamon tortilla chips and a drizzle of olive oil.
chipotle cinnamon tortilla chips
Arrange tortilla chips on a baking sheet. You can use homemade or store-bought chips. Spray them with vegetable oil and sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon, salt and ground chipotle on top. Make sure all the tortilla chips are evenly coated.
Place the baking sheet in the oven or air fryer and bake for about 5 minutes at a 400ºF. The tortilla chips should big war, crispy and with a mouthfeel of freshly made.
Experiment with different spices like paprika, cayenne or any other warm spice you prefer. You could also add a touch of black pepper, olive oil, and finishing salt to enhance the flavor.
To enhance the flavor, use garlic, chili, and finishing salt. To add some crunch, you could add freshly made croutons. If you’re feeling creative, try topping it with pumpkin seeds instead of serving it with tortilla chips.
How to Store Butternut Squash Soup
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer it to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- For longer storage, you can freeze Butternut Squash Soup for up to 2-3 months. Be sure to leave some space in the container or bag for expansion as the soup freezes and label everything you put in the freezer.
Other butternut recipes that you will love:
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Tomato Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Risotto, Pumpkin Sage Oven-baked
- Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- Soup pot
- 1 Celery stick
- 1 small butternut squash cut in half without seeds
- 1 Small-medium Apple, cored and quartered
- 1 Leek, white parts only
- ¼ teaspoon Ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth adjust if you need more
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a quarter sheet baking pan with parchment paper. Clean and chop one celery stick and half of a butternut squash, discarding the seeds. Also remove the seeds from an apple and quarter it. Spread the vegetables and apple on the baking pan, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, and roast for about 20-25 minutes until they turn golden brown and are fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly. Add the roasted vegetables and apple to a blender along with one teaspoon of kosher salt, half a teaspoon of ground Chipotle, and four cups of water. Blend the mixture until smooth and well integrated.
- Pour into a soup pot, heat it through, check for seasoning and serve. Top with the chipotle cinnamon tortilla chips and a drizzle of olive oil.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.