This Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk is the perfect recipe for days when you want a protein-packed, plant-based soup packed with flavors that will amaze you.
About this recipe
I discovered red lentils several years ago and I love them. I especially love cooking them with coconut milk and giving it Asian flavors. I also discovered this type of cooking little by little as my diet became more vegan.
And the truth is that a plant-based diet is a delicious diet and FULL of flavors that will NEVER cease to amaze me.
Normally in my house, this happens when everyone finishes the dish to their liking. At the center of the table I put cilantro, lemon, serrano pepper and avocado.
About red lentils
Red lentils lose shape and color when cooked, but they are tiny, delicious, full of protein, with an incredible color and super quick to cook.
red lentil benefits
- 1. High in Protein: Red lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, providing about 18 grams of protein per cooked cup.
- 2. Rich in Fiber: Red lentils are an excellent source of dietary fiber. One cup of cooked lentils contains about 16 grams of fiber, which is over half of the daily recommended intake.
- 3. Low in Calories: Red lentils are low in calories, making them a great option for anyone looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- 4. High in Iron: Red lentils are a good source of iron, providing about 5 milligrams of iron per cooked cup.
- 5. Low Glycemic Index: Red lentils are a low glycemic index food, meaning that they are slowly digested and absorbed by the body, helping to regulate blood sugar levels.
- 6. Heart Healthy: Red lentils are a great source of heart-healthy nutrients, such as fiber, magnesium, and potassium, which help to reduce cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure.
INGREDIENTS OF RED LENTIL SOUP WITH COCONUT MILK
- Whole cumin, if you don’t have whole cumin you can use cumin powder without problem
- Coriander seeds
- Coconut oil can be substituted with vegetable oil
- small onion
- Red lentils, they are very easy to get, you can buy them online or the international food section in the supermarket.
- Vegetable broth or water. You can use homemade or store-bought vegetable broth.
- Coconut milk, use full fat coconut milk, this will make it creamy and perfect. I prefer to use canned coconut milk, not tetra pack.
- Ginger, fresh is best. A cooking tip is that if you don’t want to peel it, you can wash it really well and then just grate it.
- Lemon, avocado, cilantro and chives to finish.
HOW TO MAKE RED LENTIL SOUP?
In a soup pot, toast the spices for one or 2 minutes, until they begin to release their aroma. Then put the coconut oil and the onion to cook. When the onion is ready, add the water (start with 4 cups), coconut milk, ginger, lentils, salt, and pepper.
Cover it and leave it on low heat for about 20-25 min. It is ready when the lentils lose color and shape. Try, if you feel that it is very thick, add an extra cup of water.
HOW TO SERVE THE LENTIL SOUP WITH COCONUT MILK?
The truth is that you can make this soup in many ways. You can finish it with diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sliced serrano pepper, and lime juice like I did.
But you can also finish it with roasted chickpeas, crispy tofu if you want it to be more substantial, or with homemade croutons.
Other lentil soup recipes
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Red lentil soup with coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small or medium onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 4 or 5 cups of water
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of finely chopped ginger or up to 2 tablespoons
- salt and pepper to taste
- To serve
- Optional lemon juice but it is very tasty with
- diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Serrano chili
- In a In a pot, toast the species for one or 2 minutes, until they begin to give off their aroma. Then put the coconut oil and the onion to cook.
- When the onion is ready, add the water (start with 4 cups), coconut milk, ginger, lentils, salt and pepper.
- Cover it and leave it on low heat for about 20-25 min. It is ready when the lentils lose color and shape. Thickness test, if you feel that it is very thick, add the extra cup of water.
- Finish with your favorite ingredients.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.