This Mexican vegan potato leek soup is on the menu in many Mexican homes, and when you try it, you’ll see why. This Mexican leek potato soup is chunky, simple, satisfying, and easy to make.
About this recipe
This is a Mexican soup with no formal recipe; it is a recipe that has been passed through generations. Every family has its own version.
Some families make vegan potato leek soup with tomato broth, and other families make it as I do, with vegetable broth (affiliate link) or water.
Ingredients for making vegetable soup
- Leeks, only the white and light green parts. Sliced and washed.
- Potatoes use Yukon gold potatoes or any other that keep their shape when cooked and are soft and delicious.
- Bay leave
- Olive oil
- Vegetable broth (affiliate link) or water. When we make soups, we start with little liquid; from there, we gradually add more if needed. It is easier to fix a thick soup than a watery soup.
How to make leek and potato soup?
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the washed and sliced leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the potatoes, a good salt pinch, and the liquid of your choice. Put the bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
You can add more broth or water if the soup is too thick. Taste the soup and adjust the flavor with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the soup hot with chopped parsley or chives and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Frequently asked questions
Other soup recipes
- Tomato and chipotle soup
- Classic tomato cream
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Noodle soup
- Milpa soup
- Tortilla soup
- Chonchitas soup
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Mexican vegan potato leek soup
- Soup pot
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large leek washed and cut into thin slices white and light green part
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 cups of vegetable broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley and sour cream of cashew to serve
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and just beginning to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, a good handful of salt, and the liquid of your choice. Put the bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are tender about 15-20 minutes.
- Taste the soup and adjust the flavor with salt and pepper to taste. You can add more broth or water if the soup is too thick. Serve the soup hot with chopped parsley and a tablespoon of sour cream if desired.
Let the soup cool to room temperature before storing it. Transfer it to a glass or plastic container for storage. And keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can make it on the stovetop over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, or in the microwave. If the soup is too thick after storing it in the fridge, add a little water or broth before reheating it.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- the best, best prosecco mimosa - April 1, 2023
- Roastedtomatillo chipotle salsa - March 31, 2023
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023