This is one of those recipes that can be used for many dishes. These chickpeas with spinach can be eaten as is, served on top of freshly baked bread, or eaten on top of pasta or risotto.
About this recipe
This recipe for chickpeas with spinach and lemon is one of the quickest and easiest recipes I have, and I make it super often. It’s so simple to make but delicious; it’s the typical recipe that when my day is gone in a nothing, and I turn around, and I haven’t eaten, it always saves me.
It is a recipe with a lot of flavor and texture and is very nutritious.
- Garlic, put the sliced garlic; this will prevent it from burning and bittering the final dish.
- Extra virgin olive oil, always look for olive oil of first cold extraction that comes in a dark bottle.
- Cooked chickpeas or canned, this recipe tastes delicious with either. Remember to keep the aquafaba.
- Spinach, you can use any type of green leaf; kale also tastes very tasty.
- Ground-dried chile or chile de arbol
- Juice of a large lemon
- Bread crumbs or panko. Panko is Japanese-style bread crumbs.
How to make chickpeas with spinach
In a large frying pan, put the olive oil and garlic for one minute, then add the spinach, be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the dried chili and salt. Mix very well and empty the chickpeas. Leave everything over low heat for about five more minutes or until the chickpeas are hot, the spinach leaves are wilted, and there is almost no liquid in the pan.
Squeeze the lemon juice and mix well; place on a platter or where you will serve.
In the same pan, wipe it with a paper towel and add the teaspoon of olive oil. Add the panko or bread crumbs and leave it until it begins to brown; add the lemon zest and salt. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the chickpeas.
Benefits of chickpeas and spinach
Chickpeas and spinach are two very nutritious and healthy foods. Chickpeas are an excellent source of vegetable protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, such as iron, phosphorus, and magnesium. Spinach is rich in vitamins A, C, K, and folic acid and contains antioxidants and fiber.
Combining chickpeas and spinach in one meal is a great way to get a lot of nutrients in one meal. This combination is especially good for people who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, as chickpeas are an important source of vegetable protein, and spinach is an important source of iron and other important nutrients often obtained from meat.
Other recipes with chickpeas
- Chickpea and cauliflower curry soup
- Tuna salad without tuna
- Chickpea salad sandwich
- Chickpeas with buffalo sauce
- Chana masala
Made and loved this recipe? Give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Let me know if you have questions about this recipe in the comment section or DM me on Instagram. Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest to stay in touch, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter.
Chickpeas and spinach with cruncy topping
- 1 frying pan
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lb spinach or 454 grs.
- 1 teaspoon ground dried chili
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup cooked chickpeas or a can
- the juice of a large lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cruchy panko topping
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko
- lemon zest
- salt to taste
- In a large frying pan, put the olive oil and the garlic for a minute, then add the spinach, be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the dried chile and salt. Mix very well and empty the chickpeas. Leave everything on low heat for about five more minutes or until the chickpeas are hot, the wilted spinach and there is no liquid in the pan.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and mix well, put on a plate or where you are going to serve.
- In the same pan, clean it with a paper napkin and add the teaspoon of olive oil. Put the panko and leave it until it starts to brown, put the lemon zest and salt. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the chickpeas.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This recipe first appeared in Piloncillo&Vainilla in November 2016.
- the best, best prosecco mimosa - April 1, 2023
- Roastedtomatillo chipotle salsa - March 31, 2023
- Coconut Mango Chia Seed Pudding Recipe (Easy, Delicious, And Vegan) - March 31, 2023